Thursday, December 21, 2006

S.N.A.F.U.'s



According to Wikipedia:

"SNAFU" is an acronym meaning things are in a mess – as usual. The most commonly accepted rendering is "Situation Normal: All Fucked Up", or, in polite use, "Situation Normal: All Fouled Up". In modern usage, this rendering is commonly used, as is a "snafu" referring to an otherwise normal situation that suddenly went awry. The acronym is believed to have originated in the U.S. Army during WWII.

In the EOTP world, Wednesday was a snafu kinda day.

I had worked a Tuesday nighshift and returned home Wednesday morning at 7:30 a.m. I settled in to watch the Habs / Sabres game I missed the previous evening on the Mini Express, a one hour quickie version of the game minus commercials and faceoffs on the RDS Network.

Two minutes into the telecast, with Buffalo leading 1-0, my TV screen skipped and blinked. The play by play immediatly became out of sync with the action on the screen. While the Sabres were pressuring in the Habs zone, commentators excitedly described the Habs first goal. This was not the crystal ball I asked for from genies after watching "Back To The Future" years ago. I was totally A.F.U. Needing to kill the sound in order to observe the contest uninhibited, I rapidly succumbed to my tiredness, thus preventing me from posting any perspective on what was to be a crucial game for the Canadiens.

As the day wore on, I chose to focus my blog posting goals on other happenings, and began writting.

Once it came time to post my thoughts, I found that I was unable to log into the Beta Blogger - for 12 hours!

With beer, being it's usual factor when I'm not working the following day, prevented me from seeing or clueing into the letter X that crossed out Beta, in the Beta Blogger logo when I tried to login. I subtly noticed it, but figured the system had somehow gone offline or beendisabled.

After a half day of frustration, semi sobriety, and outright madness divided by compulsion, I tried a different track.

Seeing something that amounted to "Blogger, now without Beta", I logged in the old fashioned way.

After hitting "Home", I was given the choice between signing in with my Google accounted or returning to the older blogger format. I chose the Google option, signed in again, and here I am!

Could I have not been alerted! I lost a whole half day of my lifetimes thoughts! Precious postings are now lost forever due to this unforseem S.N.A.F.U.

To further mess with my 12 day holiday, I was called into work this evening, and will now miss the Flyers game.

My slight consolation is learning a couple more acronyms along the way. I now know the origin of S.H.I.T. and F.U.B.A.R., so much so I may even post on them in a moment of Christmas boredom.

Hey, I could always write it down at the next S.N.A.F.U.!


No comments: